How to Navigate Healthcare as a Freelancer with a Family, with Freelancers Union Executive Director, Rafael EspinalMay 27, 2021
Don't let healthcare hold you back from your dreams.
Is healthcare the ball and chain holding you or your partner to that 9-5? Would you be more willing to take the leap into full-time freelancing if you knew you had affordable healthcare and a supportive community of like-minded independent workers?
In this episode, we sat down with Freelancers Union Executive Director, Rafael Espinal, to answer the most common question that people have when considering the leap: But what about healthcare?
The Freelancers Union was founded in 1995 as an advocacy group that helped freelancers obtain health insurance by collectively bargaining. They’ve since morphed into a vast network of community resources, a political powerhouse, and all-encompassing platform for independent workers.
Tiff and Beth spoke with Executive Director, Rafael Espinal on how he got his start as a freelancer advocate, why the Freelancers Union is so important, and how you can take advantage of all the Freelancers Union has to offer, including access to affordable health care and a ton of other benefits traditionally offered by larger companies.
In addition to learning about how to obtain affordable healthcare as a freelancer, you’ll also hear about:
- The Freelancers Union policy work, and the “Freelancing Isn’t Free” act
- How the Freelancers Union connects independent workers with healthcare providers
- The numerous benefits (including tons of discounts) offered by the Freelancers Union when you become a member
- How the Freelancers Union continues to advocate for policy change and a more equitable healthcare system
- What the Freelancers Union is doing to support independent workers during and after COVID
- How to join the Freelancers Union (hint: it’s free!)
If you are ready to stop being a “captive employee” and learn how to navigate health benefits as a freelancer, be sure to check out this episode and then head on over to the Freelancer’s Union and sign up for a membership!
Links & Resources Mentioned in this episode: