Words of Wisdom & Perspective from a Mama Who's Been in Business for 20 years, with Lisa Cook, Founder of Kids Swim LAApr 07, 2022
Listen and subscribe: Spotify Apple Google
“In the very beginning, we don’t want to admit that we don't know something. We want to look like we know what we’re doing and we don’t want people to lose faith in us. It’s hard to admit what we don’t know. But as you gain experience and maturity, it’s easy to say what you’re not good at because you know someone else can do it better and faster."
Imagine being able to talk to yourself 20 years from now—what advice would you give your younger self right now? It was this question that inspired us to invite Lisa Cook to the pod! Lisa is the Founder of Kid Swim LA, a mother, and has over two decades of business ownership experience under her belt.
In this episode, we discuss how she got started with her business and how that business has grown since launching in 2001. Lisa describes what it was like to start and run a small business while raising her family. She talks about how her mindset shift of really owning the CEO title in her business helped her grow and become a successful entrepreneur. You’ll also learn how she has successfully built and managed a healthy and happy team over the years.
At the core of this episode, Lisa gives pro tips and perspective for us parent entrepreneurs who are in our beginning years of business.
You will also learn about her newest endeavor which is helping new business owners through financial tips, leadership, and marketing. In it, she gives you 20 years of experience in just 6 weeks. You can’t beat that!
If you’re looking for wisdom, perspective, encouragement, and vulnerability, then you’re not going to want to miss this episode!
This episode is for you if:
- You’ve been suffering from imposter syndrome and need to hear how to shift your mindset toward becoming the CEO of your business.
- You’re feeling held back from reaching your goals due to the responsibilities of parenthood, and you need to hear how you can manage your goals and still accomplish them while fostering that healthy parent-child relationship.
- You are interested in hiring on a team and need strategies to help you pick the right people and to build a healthy team.
- You’re feeling overwhelmed with starting your business and need a fully-packed resource to help kick-start your journey.
About Our Guest
Lisa Cook, founder of Kids Swim LA, started her small business with a goal to teach kids how to swim while bringing in extra cash to her household. Lisa had an infant when she started her business in 2001 and at the time, she didn’t consider herself an entrepreneur.
Now more than 20 years later, she has built multiple successful businesses. She has increased revenue for Kids Swim LA to 20-25% every year through hard work and passion.
Links Mentioned + Other Helpful Resources
- Connect with Lisa on Instagram
- Check out her business classes
- Sign up for swim classes
- Learn more about her nonprofit All Kids Swim
- Book a mentoring call with Tiffany or Beth
Join us on Slack
Join our free slack group if you’re ready to get support from like-minded parents who are right there with you and in the trenches of entrepreneurship and parenting. Ask questions, get feedback, share your wins, struggles, and more. Join us here or feel to DM us on Instagram with any questions.